Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"I Celebrate Myself"

     I celebrate myself and everything that makes me, me. I'm just thankful for all the good and bad things that have shaped me into the person I am today. I guess you can say I'm the opposite of a transcendentalist. Transcendentalists believed that society corrupted the purity of the individual. I think the opposite. I feel society is the most influential thing in our lives and it should shape us for the better but it all depends on how you let it influence you. Some take bad situations, learn from them, and try to create positive ones. Others may not and it makes them, them. I have learned to appreciate society for what it is just like I've learned to appreciate my family and friends. I celebrate the fact that despite all the good and bad things that have happened in my life, I've become a pretty decent person. Transcendentalists also believe that self-reliance and independence are important and I believe it is but life isn't really worthwhile if you don't experience it with the world. Isolation is good sometimes but you shouldn't walk away believing it will make you a great person. Apart of being able to celebrate yourself, is accepting yourself for who you are. A lot of transcendentalists felt you shouldn't have to comply with society's rules, or be or do what is expected of you, but I think we have come a long way as far as being able to express yourself. I figure life is worth celebrating so why not celebrate every part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment